Turns out that it was shot by Steven Meisel. What I respect about Steven Meisel is that he doesn't have a "style". His "style" is coherent problem solving. He understands that a color palette or a quality of light is not the message, it's a vehicle for the message. He's the best because he understands what the client is trying to say, and then uses appropriate lighting and styling.
I think I've been writing so much about this because we've been discussing in our fine art class the risk of taking a step into the dark and doing something that isn't just a repeat of someone else's creativity. (Obviously I'm repeating creativity here, but Meisel seems to have made a risky decision) What I'm trying to say is - he took a risk and it seems to have paid off, because it really stuck in my mind. Sometimes risks work, sometimes they don't, but when they do, it sets you apart. I'm going to try to employ that more in my decision making.

(In all honesty, Steven Meisel was really just repeating Man Ray's creativity, but to copy Man Ray today is still somewhat of a step out into the dark)
I could never pick a Steven Meisel image from a line-up of 20 well-known fashion photographers' images. I could however, probably tell you who commissioned the work, because he is a complete chameleon based on who the client is.
ReplyDelete