

For my Adv. Digital class (VAPHO 310) our final project was open for us to do whatever we wanted. I decided that I would explore a new process for myself, a little mock-up print ad campaign. For a company that sells hardwoods. Except that doesn't really make sense because I don't think any company that sells hardwoods would ever run an ad campaign. Nonetheless, it was fun/educational/fun.
I got a couple of awesome models and photographed their faces thinking I could use a grayscale copy of the image to create a depth map that would shift the pixels of a plain wood image to make it appear as though the wood had been carved to the shape of their face. It turns out that its probably easier to hire someone to create an actual 3D model of someone's face. I ended up pretty much painting the depth map with the help of my original 'depth map' image as a guide.
Then I put a grayscale copy of their face on top of it to simulate the wood 'carved out image' being lit the same way I actually lit their faces (soft light blend mode). I'm probably making this sound like it was more work than it was. It's just: Paint depth map, apply depth map to picture of wood, apply source image w/ soft light blend mode. (And then colorize. And maybe some curves.)
ANYway. Our class got to put all our projects up as a show on the 4th floor (west siiiide) in the HFAC.
Check it out!
(please?)
Oh yeah, my models were excellent, they let me paint their faces completely white with party makeup. Go team. Yeah I know, I made the eyes on the second one kinda weird... I was running out of time and called it quits at 4:00 am this morning.
awesome rad!
ReplyDeletelove it!!!
ReplyDeleteNext time you have a project, you can always ask me for help too...This is a two-way steet! :)
Cooooool!
ReplyDeleteYou are way too cool for school.
ReplyDeleteWho are they? You should have prefaced the pictures with: "This is the best rendering we could make of these fugitives..."
ReplyDeleteGreat job, by the way.
ReplyDeleteUm...and I'm theasley.
ReplyDelete